-->

Friday, December 4, 2009

Ice Isn't Nice

Well, I've declared "AMTRAK Weather" for today. Here's why:


Conditions here in Connecticut are lovely but some unpleasantness has crept into the southern end of my proposed route. There is a stable sub-freezing cloud layer from 4,000 to 6,000 MSL reflected in the TAF's from DC up to Harrisburg. As the pirep graphic shows, there have already been a fair number of ice encounters, one described as "moderate", and there's no reason to expect things to improve.

The "Moderate" icing pirep got my attention. It was filed by the pilot of an Embraer 190 regional jet just about over KVKX, describing moderate rime ice from 5,000 to 6,000 feet. I really don't want to go there.

So I shall proceed on the ground, wishing I could be in the air but knowing that this is a lot better than the other way around.

No comments: