-->

Friday, October 23, 2009

Hail to the Chief

The President is coming to town for his own political purposes, and bringing with him his traveling circus of Temporary Flight Restrictions. From 2030Z to 0010Z tonight there are a pair of TFR's centered on a point on the Carmel (CMK) 189 radial at 14.2nm. I believe that's one of the hotels in Stamford where the party is going to be.

The folks in charge of security theater have promulgated a NOTAM in typically opaque language warning off all of us aviators. Fortunately our good friends at the FAA have provided an explanatory web site that provides guidance we can actually understand. They even include graphics:

As you can see, Bridgeport (KBDR) is outside the inner TFR (which is the real "no fly zone") and within the outer ring, where operations are possible as long as you are on an active flight plan and in touch with ATC.

If I depart, as planned, shortly after 21Z, I will have to be sure to get a turn to the north right away - which Approach Control usually issues to me anyway. This doesn't really take me any further out of my way than I'm accustomed to. It's just that the penalties for messing up are rather more severe.

Oh, yes, the weather. The forecast is for light rain showers in the area on arrival around 00Z. There may be some issues with low ceilings...I've got Manassas for an alternate.

No comments: